Wednesday, October 2

Stop being an idiot before your exams!


How all of us behave like complete idiots before our exams.

Pre-Examination Rant:

Second in-semester exams start day after tomorrow. We've got Algorithms and Database Managements systems on the first day. I can count the number of lectures of DBMS I have attended on the fingers of my hands, one hand, even if I were suffering from Oligodactyly . I really find it uninspiring and have sympathies for the person who has to handle databases when he graduates. I don't want to be that person.

Its too much theory and blah blah. I am probably wrong and am sure DBMS is a very important subject, but I just don't get inspired by it. I have to start studying it. Probably after this post.


I had a lot of tiny epiphanies today, Um usual pre-examination behavior. Even the beginning of this blog was through one of these mini epiphanies.

Anyway,
I hate something about examinations a lot. No, not about the system or anything. It's about how most of us behave in the few days before exams.

We dedicate few days before examination to studying. Just studying. It may be ten days for few or a maybe a week. These days suck. It's like the only thing that you think you are supposed to do in these few days is to study. And if you are not studying you better be sleeping or eating.

If I look at my complete day in which I was supposedly studying and denying myself of any recreation, I hardly studied. Then what did I do? Nada. Void. Nothing. Neither is my studying proportional to the time I invest in it nor do I permit myself in doing anything else. If I want to take a break, I take a nap. Wake up in cold sweat and rush back to my desk to make up for the extended sleep.

This is completely stupid. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

Shouldn't I just study properly for some part of the day and do something else in the remaining. No. Rather take the small amount of learning and distribute it throughout the day so in the end half of it doesn't make sense and there is hardly any retention. Argh. Who are you trying to fool?! You are just being stupid! You keep checking your Facebook, Twitter, Webmail and Gmail. You keep cycling through them. You read random articles. You strike up a conversation with friends you've not talked to in a long time.

Hey!
Long time!? How have you been?!



And then you don't even look for a reply. You don't give a fuck. You are busy reading comments on Feline videos on Youtube. You think how can everyone be so easily distracted? Oh and in between all this you read a line or two. Pretend you are studying. You are just killing time and waiting for the day to end. Waiting for the exams to end.

Dude, I spent the whole day studying! The course is just too large!

Can we just be a little smart and not waste 10 or 7 days before every exam pretending?! We anyway pretend a lot in our lives. Leave this out please. Don't pretend to study just because everybody is studying the whole day! It is not sacrilegious to do something else than studying before exams. There is no police.

Don't be a sheep!




But it is really funny, how I am so touchy and feeling so much about productivity just right before my examinations. Because after it ends, I'll turn a deaf ear to all such pleas in my stupid head. I'll be completely vella. I'll be in the state of doing nothing at all and wasting time till the dates for the next examination are announced.

"Vellapanti is a series of endless actions having the sole aim to kill time and doing chutiyapa at the same time"
Source: UrbanDictionary


True. We miss something when it's denied.

On an unrelated note. Only know you love her when you Let Her Go. Awesome song. Check it out. One of my favorite voices! The band is called Passenger.


 


PS. I have been tampering with the blog layout throughout the day and finally decided upon the sidebar thingy, which you see on the side. Duh. Tell me what you think of it? Please? I just can't decide.

Also please subscribe and comment :) Hover to the right of the screen. 

Everybody is not subscribing. Don't be a sheep.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So damn true ... and because of the changed behavior of people around, one feels like they should also start doing what others are doing because there is no other choice, because if you do anything other than what they suppose you do, then you are made to feel guilty :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Sucks to be a sheep!

      Yes others make you feel guilty, but even more than that its our stupid mind. A complete scared wimp it is :P

      Delete
  3. and this sidebar thingy is nice... doesn't make any difference if the content is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freaking profs spoiling the semester

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But c'mon. I don't mind if the profs are bad, if the courses are inspiring :)

      For example, Computer Architecture course (COP). I really enjoyed that course irrespective of the exams or the professor.

      Delete
  5. Great work ! One thing more you must have noticed Harsh is that you l find ample amount of time to think creative during this period. It must have happened with everybody when one thinks that he/she has soo many other *important/creative/interesting* things to do but alas , we have to study. And then what , we forget what important things were those :P Right ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely right! It's actually the same thing I wrote in the Introduction and Purpose post for this blog. Exactly the same :) Keeps on happening all the time :(

      Delete
  6. All the best for BITS-Pilani.
    And the song is awesome BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Misplaced comment. But yes, thanks :) I know, too late.

      Delete